What Big Teeth by Rose Szabo

What Big Teeth by Rose Szabo

Series: N/A

Rating:  4.5

Recommend:  Yes


Synopsis: Eleanor has not seen or spoken with her family in years, not since they sent her away to Saint Brigid's boarding school. She knows them only as vague memories: her grandfather's tremendous fanged snout, the barrel full of water her mother always soaked in, and strange hunting trips in a dark wood with her sister and cousins. And she remembers the way they looked at her, like she was the freak. When Eleanor finally finds the courage to confront her family and return to their ancestral home on the rainy coast of Maine, she finds them already gathered in wait, seemingly ready to welcome her back with open arms. "I read this in the cards," her grandmother tells her. However, Grandma Persephone doesn't see all, for just as Eleanor is beginning to readjust to the life she always longed for, a strange and sudden death rocks the family, leaving Eleanor to manage this difficult new dynamic without help. In order to keep the family that abandoned her from falling apart, Eleanor calls upon her mysterious other grandmother, Grandmere, from across the sea. Grandmere brings order to the chaotic household, but that order soon turns to tyranny. If any of them are to survive, Eleanor must embrace her strange family and join forces with the ghost of Grandma Persephone to confront the monstrousness lurking deep within her Grandmere-and herself.


Review: I read this book in one day and I enjoyed it. It was confusing at times and I can understand why people didn’t like that. It did have me hooked from the prologue and I only had breaks to eat.  I just wish I had more, more of the characters and plot. I loved how bizarre and ultra disturbing this book was and I think it would make a great horror movie. It has taken me a few minutes after I read the book to get my thoughts right. I can’t wait to read more from Rose Szabo and this was an awesome debut novel. Thank you Negalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group for letting me read and review this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Under the Whispering Door by T.J. Klune

Fallen by Linda Castillo

Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones