The Hunger by Alma Katsu

 


The Hunger by Alma Katsu

Series: NA

Rating: ★★★★

Recommend:  Yes


Goodreads Synopsis: Evil is invisible, and it is everywhere. That is the only way to explain the series of misfortunes that have plagued the wagon train known as the Donner Party. Depleted rations, bitter quarrels, and the mysterious death of a little boy have driven the isolated travelers to the brink of madness. Though they dream of what awaits them in the West, long-buried secrets begin to emerge, and dissent among them escalates to the point of murder and chaos, unknowingly propelling them into one of the deadliest and most disastrous Western adventures in American history. As members of the group begin to disappear, the survivors start to wonder if there really is something disturbing, and hungry, waiting for them in the mountains...and whether the evil that has unfolded around them may have in fact been growing within them all along. Effortlessly combining the supernatural and the historical, The Hunger is an eerie, thrilling look at the volatility of human nature, pushed to its breaking point.


Review:  I have always been fascinated with The Donner party and why they did what they did. As I read this book, I looked up the timelines and the people in it. That made reading it a little funner for me. I liked that I could put a picture of the names. I felt that I was on the trip with them and felt the fear. If I didn’t need sleep, I would have finished this in a day. Though I did give it four stars instead of five because at some parts it did feel like it dragged on. Other than that it kept me entertained and it made me look at hunger in a different way. Not just hunger for food but for an escape from your past. A hunger for love and a place to belong and much more. I will be picking up their other book The Deep very soon. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones

Under the Whispering Door by T.J. Klune

Fallen by Linda Castillo